Do You Have Pests In Your Home? Crawl Space Moisture Could Be The Problem
Pest problems usually begin in homes that have moisture in their crawl space. It helps them survive and multiply. Let Greenshield control the moisture in your home.
The Problems If You Don't Control Your Home's Moisture
Below are the most common problems associated with moisture in your crawlspace.
All living organisms require water to survive, including bugs and other pests. Insects seek moisture to keep their bodies hydrated to breed and multiply. Richmond, VA, is an area that has a warmer climate, which means your crawl space could become a pest breeding ground. Insects are also attracted to the darkness of your crawlspace. It offers them protection, while at night they venture further into the home in search of food.
Mold & Health Problems
Insects aren’t the only organisms that love moisture. Fungus loves to grow in a moist environment and your crawl space is its favorite environment in your home. Funguses eat dead organic materials like wood, paper, and cardboard, which makes your crawlspace an even better place for it to grow. What’s worse, fungus releases airborne spores that can make their way upstairs and cause health problems like asthma.
Higher Energy Bills
In past decades, it was customary for homes to be built with crawl space vents to reduce the amount of humidity inside. This has now caused issues for hundreds and thousands of homeowners and those problems persist today. Open vents allow outside air to get into the space below your home, this humid air then gets trapped and rises. Over time, the humid air starts rising through your floors, causing your HVAC to work harder.
Signs You Might Need Crawl Space Moisture Control & Pest Removal
Here are some of the most common signs you have excess moisture in your crawl space and around your home.
- Musty odors
- Increased humidity
- Fungus and mildew growth
- Pest infestations
- Sagging or uneven floors
- High energy bills
- Siding with discoloration
- Standing water around the foundation
- Walls that sweat
- Crumbling bricks
That’s not all! Some of the bugs and other critters that love crawl space moisture include earwigs, millipedes, cockroaches, rodents, carpenter ants, termites, crickets, and centipedes.
What It's Like Having Greenshield's Crawl Space Moisture Control Service
Keep Pests Out!
Dangerous pests and arachnids love the moisture and darkness in your crawlspace including Brown Recluse spiders. Greenshield will remove existing moisture and insects, then install a moisture barrier. This barrier will prevent moisture and insects from getting into your home, preventing the damage they can cause to you, your sheetrock, wood, and other structures.
Improve Your Health
When insects and mammals (rodents) invade your crawl space they urinate, defecate, and multiply. The ammonia released into the air can increase asthma symptoms and cause pneumonia. Second, mold releases spores into the air which also causes breathing problems. Greenshield’s moisture control systems will prevent mold, help ventilate the crawl space and prevent health complications.
Save Money On Energy
Earlier on this page we talked about how moisture in your crawl space can increase energy bills. Greenshield’s crawl space moisture barrier will ensure the moisture stays out of your home, and that the crawlspace stays properly ventilated. Without the trapped, humid air rising through the home, your HVAC won’t be working on overdrive, and you will save money on energy bills.
Fungus Prevention/Cleaner Air
Lower Energy Costs
5 Year Warrant And Inspections
Add Home Value
An Added Layer Of Protection Against Pests
Lower humidity, sealed entry points, proper insulation and a moisture barrier all work together to create a less inviting environment for pests that like to harbor in your crawl space including termites, camel crickets, and rodents.
Lower Humidity Prevents Fungal Growth
Fungus and pests thrive in the dark, humid environment that will naturally occur in the crawl space. With proper remediation and a dehumidifier, humidity levels can be regulated to prevent these issues.
Better Air Quality
An Awesome 5-Year Warranty!
Our work, products, and installed equipment are covered by our 5-year warranty. If any defects occur or equipment breaks down, we will return to repair or replace the item at no cost to you (terms and conditions of our warranty are included in the agreement paperwork for your records).
We provide complimentary annual inspections to ensure your crawl space remains healthy and check for any signs of concern. Something as simple as a plumbing leak can be found during our inspection, being brought to your attention before it can cause a larger problem.
Your Home Value Will Increase!
Your home will likely be one of the biggest investments you’ll ever make. When it comes time to sell your home you naturally expect that investment to pay off. Having an attractive and efficient crawl space will add visual and financial value to your home. As an added bonus, our 5-year warranty is transferrable to the new homeowners.
Also Included With Grenshield's Crawlspace Remediation
Go From This
Check Out Some Of Our Reviews!
We Offer Financing For Your Crawl Space Moisture Solution
We’re here to help. If you’re interested in financing you can click the apply for financing button. If you aren’t sure click the free quote button and a Pest Control & Crawlspace Moisture Professional will reach out to you as soon as possible.
Protect Your Crawlspace From Moisture In 3 Easy Steps
Crawlspace Moisture Control FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
What's the best way to remove moisture from under my house?
The easiest way to remove moisture when you’re doing it yourself is by using a dehumidifier. A dehumidifier can remove excess moisture in the air, reducing the risk of mold and mildew growth. But, a dehumidifier might not be enough if your crawl space has open vents and needs a vapor barrier installed.
How would Greenshield seal off moisture in my crawlspace?
Crawlspace moisture control is a multi-step process. The standard procedure includes:
- Spreading out a crawl space vapor barrier: Most crawl spaces benefit from having a vapor barrier installed. The vapor barrier is plastic sheeting placed on the soil that prevents moisture in the soil from seeping into the crawl space. It is recommended to consult a professional to ensure it’s installed properly and doesn’t damage your home.
- Crawl Space Liners and Dehumidifier: Crawl spaces aren’t fully separated from your house, which allows pests and moisture to travel into the living space. We can mitigate mold and drainage problems through a combination of liners and dehumidifiers.
- Ventilators: Dry crawl spaces have dry wood, and dry wood isn’t as appealing to insects, rodents, or arachnids. Installing air vents is a great way to keep the crawl space’s wood dry, but you will need to consult a professional because each home is different, and the ventilation needs to be installed custom.
If you’re seeing signs of moisture in your home or crawl space, contact us using our contact form.
How much does moisture control cost?
Controlling moisture in your crawl space doesn’t have a set price. On average the cost is $2 to $4 per square foot, which comes out to between $1,200 – $4,000 for materials and labor. Your cost will depend on the size of your crawlspace, the materials needed, and the removal of damage and pests already there.
Luckily, Greenshield Home & Pest Solutions offers financing for your moisture control service and free quotes. Just give us a call at (804) 798-1725.
How bad is moisture under my house?
Moisture in your crawl space can sit there for months and years providing food and living space for mold and pests. The moisture can attract wood-destroying insects like carpenter ants and termites. So, not only will the moisture damage your home’s foundation, these wood-destroying insects can travel into your home’s living spaces and cause more expensive structural damage. Cockroaches and rodents can also multiply in the crawl space. These pests can urinate and release ammonia into the air which travels and increases asthma symptoms.
What are the most obvious signs of moisture in my house?
- Mold & Mildew Growth: When you have visible mold and mildew in the crawlspace, it means there is TOO much moisture. Along with mold growth, you might see a sudden spike in breathing problems due to spores the mold releases into the air. Asthma symptoms aren’t the only symptom of mold spores in the house’s living space. Poor air quality can cause pneumonia and other chronic health problems like headaches, eye irritation, and fatigue.
- Structural Damage: Your house’s structure is damaged when you have too much moisture. The crawl space is designed to support your home’s structure, and any damage from water puts your house at risk. If you see signs of carpenter ants or termites, more than likely it’s due to moisture in the crawl space.
- Visible Moisture and Odors: If you see visible moisture on the wood, studs, and joists, you might see the floors in your house starting to sag. Generally, when homeowners start to see this physical damage, the moisture causes a consistent musty smell around the lower floors of the house.
I don't live in Ashland, VA, can Greenshield still help me remove my crawl space moisture?
Yes, we can! Greenshield Home & Pest Solutions’ main offices are located in Ashland, VA, but we provide service to all counties and cities in Central, VA. That means your home can be in Hanover County, Richmond City, or Chesterfield County, and we can still assist you. If you live further away just contact us and we can work something out.
Do you have links to any other information about moisture control?
Here are some links to websites with more information on crawlspace moisture control.
- Energy saving and moisture control information from energy.gov.
- Moisture control guidance for building design, construction, and maintenance from the EPA (environmental protection agency).
- Pest World’s blog post about bugs and mice in your crawl space.
- The EPA’s post about the main ways to control moisture in your home.