Enjoy time outdoors this summer with the help of our Mosquito Management Services
Mosquitoes are irritating and cause discomfort. However, they can also spread harmful diseases.
Many of us will only ever experience mild to moderate skin irritation from a mosquito bite. However, according to the American Mosquito Control Association, over one million people worldwide die from mosquito-borne diseases every year. And the CDC states ” For most viruses spread by mosquitoes, no vaccines or medicines are available “.
Why take that chance? There are steps you can take to help reduce the mosquito population in your own backyard. Since most mosquitoes lay their eggs on the surface of fresh or stagnant water, the first step is to eliminate any potential breeding grounds. This may seem like common sense but many people often unknowingly invite this dangerous pest into their yards.
Puddles, toys, even a bottle cap can provide plenty of water to attract mosquitoes
Take a thorough look around your property as part of your regular lawn maintenance. Look for items that could be collecting water. Resolve any issues you might find.
- Gutters – Leaves and other debris gather in gutters. Clogged gutters attract mosquitoes as well as many other types of pests.
- Leaky pipes – Check for leaks. Also check that spigots are fully shut off after use.
- Flowerpots – Make sure flower pots are draining properly. Any unused pots should be properly stored.
- Trashcans – Trashcan lids should be properly fitted. A loose lid will allow water to gather. It will also draw other unwanted pests.
- Birdbaths and other water features – Keep water fresh. Dump out and refill birdbaths often. Ponds can be stocked with fish, which will eat mosquito larvae. Water features with running water won’t attract mosquitos, but check to make sure they are working properly.
- Baby pools- Drain small pools and turn upside down when not in use. Don’t leave pools filled with water for long periods of time.
- Other places water can gather include grill covers, wheel barrows, tire swings and toys.
Protect your family. Your preventative measures along with our Mosquito Management Services will reduce the chances of you or your loved ones getting an illness or disease from a mosquito bite.